For fresh flavor that elevates your dishes this summer, try Ball®’s Orange Rhubarb Chutney! This recipe is full of chopped rhubarb, raisins, and orange juice and seasoned with ginger, all spice, and curry, so every bite is sure to be packed with flavor. Try this chutney with some curried vegetables and papadum or as an addition to a charcuterie platter.
10 whole black peppercorns
1 Tbsp mustard seeds
1 Tbsp Ball® pickling spice
4 Tbsp grated orange zest
2/3 cup fresh orange juice
6 cups chopped rhubarb
5 cups lightly packed brown sugar
3-1/2 cups cider vinegar
3 cups chopped onion
1-1/2 cups raisins
2 Tbsp finely chopped garlic
2 Tbsp finely chopped gingerroot
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 tsp ground allspice
6 Ball® (8 oz) half pints
1. Tie peppercorns, mustard seeds and pickling spice in a square of cheesecloth, creating a spice bag. Set aside.
2. Combine orange zest and juice, rhubarb, brown sugar, vinegar, onions, raisins, garlic, and ginger in a large stainless-steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes.
3. Add curry powder, allspice, and reserved spice bag; stir well. Boil gently, stirring frequently, until thick enough to mound on spoon, about 30 minutes.
4. Prepare boiling water canner in the meantime. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
5. Ladle hot chutney into hot jars leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
6. Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Pairs well with: Rice and Pappdum or curried vegetables