A twist on classic dilly beans, Ball®’s Spicy Mixed Dilly Beans recipe uses Thai chili peppers to turn up the heat this summer! With the fresh flavor of dill, garlic, and mustard seeds, these pickled beans are a great new addition to your summer spread. Use any variety of beans your garden or farmer’s market offers!
2 lbs. mixed yellow wax and green beans, rinsed, stem ends trimmed, beans cut to 4 inch lengths
2 ½ cups white vinegar
½ cup white wine vinegar
1 ½ cups water
2 tbsp. sugar
3 tbsp. Ball® Salt for Pickling and Preserving
8 red Thai chili peppers, a small slice lengthwise down the middle, leaving pepper intact
½ sweet onion, sliced thin lengthwise, divided into 4 portions
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp. mustard seeds
2 tsp. crushed black peppercorns
8 dill sprigs
1. Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready to use, do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set aside with bands.
2. Combine vinegars, water, sugar and salt in a 4 quart saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve salt and sugar.
3. Place 1 clove crushed garlic, ½ tsp each mustard seeds and black peppercorns into a hot jar. Pack beans cut side up, add onion slices, 2 thai chilis and 2 sprigs dill into jar.
4. Ladle hot brine over beans in jar leaving a ½ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar and apply band, adjust to fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
5. Process jars 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat, remove lid, let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours. Check lids for seal, they should not flex when center is pressed.